2014 Gamma Delta Events
- November 13-14 6th Annual Nursing Research & Evidence-based Practice symposium. Gamma Delta had a strong showing. Our David Curry and Kathleen Carey are members of the Program Planning Committee. We had poster presentations by:
- Shannon Hanshaw (SUNY Plattsburgh), Determinants of Academic Attrition for the Nurse Anesthesia Student: A Case-Control Study [NR]
- Karen Phillips and Holly Carter (CVPH), The Empathy Noise Project: Noise is a Choice [QI]
- Stephanie Drown (CVPH), Caring for our future: Implementation of a New Nurse Residency Program [EBP]
- Carlyn Haag and Colleen Bell (CVPH), Don’t Hesitate, Check a Lactate! [EBP]
- November 10, Our presentation on Correctional Nursing, with SUNY Plattsburgh Nursing Alumni, Amy Tousignant, Deputy Superintendent of Health at the Mohawk Correctional Facility and former NYS Director of Correctional Nursing Services and Suzanne Kinter, RN. This presentation had outstanding attendance with 57 students and members present.
- October 17 Induction 2014. We welcomed 30 new members to our chapter at a ceremony at Valcour Conference Center. Dr. Mara Kaufmann spoke about Healing Ourselves and Others a Lifelong Journey.
- August 7, Julie Brunell organized a workshop to help area nurses prepare projects for submission to the annual research symposium. Noreen Houck and Tami Pobocik presented, Demystifying Abstract Writing. Participants were encouraged to bring their performance improvement or evidence-based practice projects or research projects to the workshop. The conference was shared with participants in Vermont via phone conferencing.
- On June 3rd we celebrated our annual dinner meeting. Highlights include an evening of community, conversation, and networking at the Elks Club featuring a presentation by Peggy LaBombard on Emergency Preparedness. The business meeting allowed us to show our appreciation for the volunteer work of our exiting board members like Wanda Flynn who has been active in the chapter for many years serving in nearly every office and helped plan the June meeting - thank you Wanda. We welcome our new board members, Sarah Charles as secretary and Shannon Hanshaw as counselor.
- The May Nurses Day Celebration included prizes and awards for outstanding poster presentations by students and community members. The event captures the wonderful energy of nurses when they come together for common purpose. The networking, socialization, and energy continue to drive this event. We hope to see it grow and expand in our community.
- March: Our joint meeting with District 8 included an in depth conversation and discussion about what the Medical Home concept means to our community and the future of healthcare. We enjoyed a presentation by Karen Ashline, VP for the Adirondacks ACO and Brenda Stiles, BS, RN, Certified Diabetes Educator, is the Care Team Manager for the Northern Adirondack Medical Home Program.
- February: Dr. Tami Pobocik and Noreen Houck shared their experience and news from the Biannual Convention and Business Meeting! We welcomed a new President Hester Klopper (South Africa) and a new Regional Coordinator, Jennifer Allis Vazquez, MSN, RN, CPTC, Region 15 Coordinator. http://www.nursingsociety.org/aboutus/board/Pages/2013-2015-Board-of-Directors.aspx.
Gamma Delta Chapter Recognized for Regional Excellence!
November - Gamma Delta Chapter was recognized at the Biannual Convention in November in the Showcase of Regional Excellence. The chapter responded to the President's Call to Action in the area of Creating Your Legacy! Great Job Gamma Delta. See our Certificate in the file link attached and our submission on the SRE webpage through the Society page.
SRE - Creating Your Legacy (2).pdf
Welcome new members to Gamma Delta!
Registered Nurse Candidates:
Elizabeth M. Belitz
Janine A. Benedetto
Gail M. Bjelko
Tara J. Eberle
Gail B. LeClair
Jennefer L. LePore
Kelly B. Risner
Tammy M. Trombley
Nursing Student Candidates:
Emily J. Bair
Erin M. Blunt
Lindsay N. Bonesteel
Kendra Lynn Bressett
Alice S. Cohen
Julia A. DiFabio
Neala R. Flanagan
Alexandra I. Fretto
Chelsea C. Gantner
Cassandra M. Gardner
Sarah R. Gordon
Kirsten A. LaMora
Alexa R. Lehning
Danielle N. Schmitt
Hillary C. Sylvester
Linsay E. Tennant
Alexis P. Umholtz
Sarah E. Whalen
Gabriella F. Zappa
Gamma Delta Chapter Leadership 2014-2015
President, Noreen Houck
Vice president, Anne Watson Bongiorno
Secretary, Sarah Charles
Treasurer, Tami Pobocik
Counselor, Shannon Hanshaw (Janice Tobin)
Membership involvement, Julie Brunell
Leadership Succession Committee, Shannon Hanshaw, (additional members needed)
Governance Chair, Judy Baksi
Archivist, David Curry
Members at large, Debbie Zinser & Anna Liem
SUNY Plattsburgh Faculty vacancies:
New programs in development with new faculty positions. For position details and the application process, visit http://jobs.plattsburgh.edu and select “View Current Openings”
**Highly anticipated Master’s Degree in Nursing, Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner. Current openings for two tenure track positions at our Plattsburgh campus:
• Program Director
• Associate Professor
**SUNY Plattsburgh Branch Campus at Queensbury located on the Adirondack Community College campus offers classes in our RN-BS completion program. Current openings for two tenure tract positions:
• Assistant Professor: Nursing
Part-time and adjunct faculty positions: Adjunct Faculty: Nursing
SUNY College at Plattsburgh is a fully compliant employer committed to excellence through diversity.
Monday, November 10th, 2014, Hawkins Hall Room 209, 4:30-6:00 p.m.
RSVP: To Skint001@plattsburgh.edu or 518-572-4664
Speaker: Ms. Amy Tousignant, Deputy Superintendent of Health Care at Mohawk Correctional Facility. Deputy Tousignant received her BSN at PSU in 1996. She has been working for NYSDOC for over 28 years, has worked as NYSDOC Director of Correctional Nursing and in 2013 took on the role and Responsibility of Deputy Superintendent of Health Care at Mohawk Correctional Facility.
6th Annual Nursing Research & Evidence-Based Practice symposium
Call for Abstracts! Consider submitting your research or quality improvement project. Working with a team, get your team involved in sharing your work!
Call open through Sept 2.
Regional Excellence Award!
Gamma Delta Chapter is recognized for outstanding achievement for the Presidential Call to Action - Creating Your Legacy.
Learn how to update your profile
Learn how to update your profile and preferences in this short video presentation.
Facebook site up and running
Link into our facebook page and 'like' us! Find Gamma Delta Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International at Plattsburgh.
Log in to see this information
Feb 9 - 11
Feb 11, 1:00 AM - 11:59 PM (ET)
Mar 3 - 9
Mar 8 - 10
Nov 7 - 11